Motivation tips are useless.
Well, that may be a slight exaggeration. However, there are millions of Google searches for motivation tips, which are largely used as a ‘quick fix’ for motivational slumps.
You are most likely here because you would like to see a surge in your motivation. It could be because you have seen a slump in your motivation. It is possible that you want motivation tips for work, tips for employees or your students.
For whichever reason, well done for taking action; it is important to take control and increase your self motivation. Read on below for 22 simple motivation tips, and most importantly, how to make them productivity habits.
Habits determine almost everything we do, as demonstrated by Charles Duhigg in his book, The Power of Habit. It is important that you understand The Habit Loop, which can be applied to any of your habits, and how it can be used to build new habits.
A habit is made up of three main components:
- The Cue: This is what triggers the habit. It could be other people, an emotional state, the location, a time of day or an immediately preceding action. This tells the brain to go into automatic processing mode for the habit.
- The Routine: This is the actual action of the habit, such as biting your nails or missing the gym.
- The Reward: This provides positive reinforcement for the action, such as a nicotine hit or being able to watch more television rather than going to the gym.
Changing the habit (Or Short-circuiting the habit loop)
- Identify the routine: Identify the routine you would like to change.
- Experiment with rewards: Try out different rewards for your new habits. Are there existing rewards you could utilise?
- Isolate the cue: Eliminate, or change how you deal with the cue.
- Plan: Plan for how you will replace old habits and stick to them until they become habit (This could take around 30 days)
While this is a very simplistic view of the habit loop, it will provide you with the framework to turn these motivational tips into habits. If you would like to learn more about The Habit Loop, we would recommend reading the book.
2/ Begin with why.
3/ Embrace variety.
4/ Chart your progress.
5/ Environmental inspiration.
6/ Join a group, forum or club.
7/ Express gratitude and optimism.
8/ Utilise your at-work passion.
9/ Utilise your out-of-work passion.
11/ Small wins, win big.
12/ Recharge your mind.
15/ Easing in.
16/ Eliminate excuses.
17/ Favouring (positive) action.
18/ Proactively plan your time
20/ Optimise your daily routine: Raise your standards and demand excellence.
21/ Commit Publicly
Get Your FREE copy of 118 Page Productivity Secrets
144 Tips for a Happier, Healthier Life. Covering topics including Time-Management, Nutrition, Happiness, Procrastination, Motivation, Evening Productivity, Sleep & Exercise.
Mission: Zelo’s mission is to empower people to live more productive, successful and fulfilling lives, through the development of positive daily habits.
The Zelo Journal: A Planner, Diary & Organiser, designed to turn your goals into daily action.